KGSP Application: Additional Information & Diplomas

In earlier posts I explained in great detail how I applied for the scholarship and how I filled out the application and submitted my documents. But as that was a while ago I will link to those posts here:

Application Tips #1

Application Tips #2

Someone asked on my other post about original copies of language test score reports. As a native speaker of English, I do not have direct experience with English language proficiency tests (IELTS or TOEFL). From what I have seen, it looks like they send additional score reports directly to the institution (not to you). You can request these score reports from them and they will send them to the Embassy or University directly.


For IELTS you should make the request from the test center that administered your test. For TOEFL, please check with the organization in your country to find out where to make requests. Also, as your embassy probably does not have a TOEFL reporting code, just make sure you fill in the complete address and name of the embassy (full instructions are on page 2 of the TOEFL link above).

If your application hasn’t been sent yet when you request the score report, I would send an email to the Embassy or University so that they can expect to receive the score report and your application later. (Might not be necessary, but it doesn’t hurt.)

For TOPIK, you can go to the website of the TOPIK organization in your country (where you took the test). In the case of test takers in Korea, you just log into your account and make the request there. Then you’ll be able to download a PDF file and print it out yourself. In the upper corner it includes a verification number that the people reading your application can use to check that it is indeed an official score report. The process may be the same in other countries, or you may have to request that they send you a physical piece of paper. (This is what I did in Japan, but that was also before they made the new test and new system, so it may have changed after that.) With TOPIK they were able to send it to me, so I just included the original score report with my application.

Also, an additional word about diplomas because NIIED doesn’t do much to warn people of this ahead of time (requesting diploma copies in Korea must be a lot easier than it is in other countries). First of all, if you have already graduated from university when you apply, make sure you include the most official looking proof of graduation you can get. I have talked about this in length before, but my Embassy was not satisfied with the letter from my university and requested that I send a “certificate form” of proof.

Ultimately, my university agreed to make a certificate for free, which they sent directly to the Embassy for me. I also requested an exact replica of my official diploma (which cost about $40 US) and had that notarized and Apostilled in the US (where I’m from). I still have that just in case.

BUT, what I really wanted to say is that the KGSP application is not the last time you will be asked for this document. When you officially enter your degree program, the university will request an original copy of your diploma (NIIED keeps the original copy of your application, and sends one of the copied versions to the universities. If you apply by a designated university, then they may not ask for your diploma again because they did have it in their possession when you applied. Check with them to make sure.) You may be able to ask NIIED to send their copy to the University, but if everyone tries to do this then they may stop doing it for anyone. If your university easily provides official copies, then it is best to get one or two extras.

Which brings me to the other reason you might need extra copies. Your visa. If you are starting your degree right away, without language study, then you will start with a D2 visa. You may need to submit a copy of your diploma when you apply in your home country, but you won’t need one again in Korea. If, however, you do the Korean language course then you will apply for a D4 visa in your home country, and you will need to change to a D2 visa when you start your degree program. And… well, you need to submit another proof of graduation at this time. Fun, right?

So, the moral of this story is while you are requesting diplomas or Apostilling diploma copies for your application, request a couple more for later.

If you have any other questions read the two posts above first, and if you still have questions, leave them in the comments. I’m happy to answer what I can. But do remember the process will be slightly different depending on where you are and how you apply.

10 thoughts on “KGSP Application: Additional Information & Diplomas”

  1. How long i takes to receive the Visa Letter once we are selected for KGSP? Does the Language Institutions also make some sort of contact with the students?

  2. Hi, did you ever saw anyone leaving KGSP Scholarship after joining it. And if so, did they paid everything back to NIIED.

    1. Sorry for the late reply… In principle, yes, it is possible. If you leave before three months then you will be required to pay back what they have given you, but after that time you are free to do as you wish. You should, however, be prepared to explain why you want to leave and transfer to another university – not to NIIED or the scholarship program, but to the new university that you plan to enter. They will wonder why you choose to leave. I don’t know what stage you are in (already on KGSP or soon to be applying for KGSP), but if you aren’t here yet, I would think very hard about where to apply and the conditions of the scholarship before you apply or accept it. If you are here and doing the language study, I can understand how some people might want to skip that part if they can, but whether program is in English or Korean, Korean really is important for studying in Korea, so I’d encourage you to stick with it. And if you are here and really just want to change universities, think hard about why and what you’ll gain. Good luck!

  3. I have got a question. I passed the 2017 KGSP and now I am about to apply for a visa but the embassy said they wont give me a visa as my TB skin test is positive even though my sputum and X-ray test are negative. Now I am taking some medicine as my skin test is positive

    1. If you have been vaccinated for TB then a skin test will often be positive. If this is your problem then maybe your vaccination records and a note from your doctor explaining the situation would work.
      If you haven’t been vaccinated, then treating it might be your only option. Ask your doctor about tests or treatments that might clear you. (I know about the vaccine issue from living in Asia and America, Japan/Korea vaccinate, the U.S. doesn’t, but I’m not a doctor so I don’t know much about TB.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: